Thursday, April 4, 2013

Happy Spring From our Bouncing Bunnies

What a busy weekend this has been for us!  We enjoyed egg hunts, selling puppies at the grocery store, Easter hot dog roasts (I will NOT call it a weenie roast--you can't make me) and hiking to White Castle.  Sunday morning, we were just as busy as Aaron was finalizing his talk preparation, I was printing out my lesson (while feeding the baby of course), and Joseph and Samuel were preparing yet another egg hunt to take place in the house.  Gideon had just rushed out to save the puppies that were being coerced into jumping on the trampoline with Malachi (5) and Elias (who will be 3 in a week).  

And then--Malachi came running in to tell me that Elias NEEDED me RIGHT NOW but I figured that was just another one of those "needs" that kids have all the time. He was followed by Gideon, carrying a screaming Elias in his arms.  After looking at Elias' knee, it became quickly apparent that I was indeed NEEDED.  We couldn't decide if the grotesque angle was a dislocation or a break, so tried to skype our favorite Orthopedic Surgeon (who is currently out of the country).  He was at church--so we headed down to N. Logan to see a closer doctor at the Specialty Hospital.  I called to tell them we were coming, and when we got there they were expecting us and ready.  In fact, Dr. Marlowe Goble was just heading back out after making rounds but decided to stay after a 5 second examination of Elias' leg.  So it was broken--clean through the tibia.  And it was misaligned pretty well.  Elias got an injection of Ketamine, and was knocked out while they put his leg back in place--and then put it back into alignment (it took quite a few tweaks--and they looked like they were taking plenty of effort.

Don't worry--he couldn't feel anything!
  Then he got a cast to keep it in place. 
Elias telling the nurse about his "owee" and where she should put the stickers.
  Elias rested a few days on the couch, and the first two days were sad for everyone.  

We visited  Dr. Goble's clinic yesterday, and the placement was FANTASTIC so the cast went from blue to red (he added another layer on the cast). Today he's playing with trains, and attempting to body crawl into Daddy's office.   

I'm thinking maybe Joseph's prayer last week, that Malachi and Elias "won't make too many messes and Mommy will be able to keep up with them" may have been answered in a manner other than I would have chosen.  We're grateful that the break wasn't in his growth plate, and that it's Spring Break so we have so much help from our big boys.



IN OTHER NEWS:  the last puppy is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, and then we will be puppy free.  I think I might actually miss the little yappers!  Please suggest a caption for the following captured moment:


(need caption suggestions for this totally awesome photo)

5 comments:

  1. Poor Elias, and poor parents!! I'm glad they were able to set it so well, and that hopefully the worst part is over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe little scoundrel... you're not even keeping one puppy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about: For Sale-only two left! okay, I'm really not good at this caption thing. It is a great photo.
    Sorry Elias got hurt. :( This is the stuff childhood is made up of but I'm sure having an uneventful childhood would be easier on the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my, sounds like quite and adventure! Sorry to here it happened but glad to hear it was not worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the saddest post ever. I was on vacation when I got the news that Elias had broken his leg and it put a raincloud over the day.

    ReplyDelete