Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Land of Cheap Food

We just watched Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs a couple of weeks ago. It reminded me of the food available within short distances to us. We were so excited to move back to Cache Valley--which we refer to as the Land of Cheap Food. Not only can we get almost free potatoes from Aaron's uncle, eggs from the chickens at Mama Carol's (which are technically our chickens but we haven't actually cared for them in two years), and free green beans from all the gardens that planted extra, but if we want to PAY for food, we can visit the following places and purchase SECONDS. We have been living off of seconds/not-up-to-quality-control products for a long time--when I was young, my mom would buy ice cream from Aggie Ice Cream in 3 gallon containers, and she would buy two or three at at time.

Oh the joy.

One year, she turned 3 gallons of creamy ice cream upside down, dumped it out of the container, pushed candles into the top, and we sang Happy Birthday to Michael.

So now, to honor my father and mother, here is a list of some places we frequent:

  • Heart 2 Heart (142 West, 3200 North, North Logan) Here you can buy Creamies for 15cents a bar!
  • Pepperidge Farms and then we buy cookies in bulk--or a giant bag of goldfish for $3. Now that Aaron's sister works there for the summer, we can even get it with an employee discount!
  • Gossner's Just off 10th West in Logan, you can get cheese for $1-3 a pound and shelf stable chocolate milk. It's happiness in a paper box.
  • FritoLay dumpster (no further information is available)
  • Crumb Brother's Day Old bread--somehow my Grandpa gets this sometimes. We love it.
  • Schreiber's Cheese (must have a friend that works there and also be related to them)

Okay. I'm noticing a trend--firstly that there are a lot of dairy products among this list. Secondly, that there is a shocking lack of healthy foods on this list. (Although, we do sometimes by the LOW fat boy (only 2 points a bar). Perhaps this lends some light as to why I haven't yet lost my 20 pounds for my New Year's resolution. Would it be safe to say that FREQUENTING these places may not be the most healthy thing to do?

But it tastes so good. And it's so cheap.

Ahhhh, the perils of living in

The Land of Cheap Food

6 comments:

  1. I made a list of 50 reasons to move back to Logan for Sam & Kacie once. Most of these cheap foods were on my list.

    I lost my cell phone in the Frito Lay dumpster once. It was a long night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally believe that Boston is my purgatory for not having fully appreciated The Land of Cheap Food when I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. making me jealous that I live in the land of not so cheap food. How are you adjusting to 5, wonderfully I am sure! Need more pictures of the newest one,I am sure little Elias does not seem as little anymore. Here is to trying for the 20 lbs with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think living off cheap food is making it hard for me to loose weight--although mine is generally fruit and veggies, we also get a fair share of high calorie foods. But Hey, when your fridge is full of food that needs to be eaten, and you hate to see it go to waste, what can you do? i know, freeze it--but the freezer is now full! But hey, I'm not complaining--Cheap Food is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and I think it's kinda funny that Emily convinced Sam and Kacie to move back and then SHE moved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait...did I miss something? Did you guys move? Nobody tells me anything.

    ReplyDelete