Thursday, May 27, 2010

WOW!! Words of Wisdom

I have decided I am now a qualified authority. The fifth boy puts me in a completely new class. So, since I am sure my advice will now be in high demand, I've decided to offer some, unsolicited. Just in case any of you are planning on having five boys (or perhaps any boys), I have learned a few things that may be helpful to you.
1. Don't buy winter boots. It's not worth it. You can buy them at the D.I. if you want--or on clearance, but if you have to pay full price, just go and get some rubber boots.

They cost less, last longer, and are really waterproof. In my extensive experience (as a mother of five boys), the boys aren't really going to play in the snow. They're going to go out, dig around until they find some mud, and then fling it at each other.

2. Install a urinal. I installed one when I was the mother of only THREE boys. Imagine the joy of teaching aim when they actually aiming for the wall, (since they're bound to hit it anyway). Keep in mind, however, the urinal still needs to be cleaned. (I still remember overhearing Aaron say, "Our urinal just cleans itself!" um, yeah, just like dinner cooks itself, and the carpets magically pick things off of themselves as they put away the laundry. . . . . but I digress)

3. Teach your boys that boys are meant to clean and cook. This comes in handy when, after five kids, you still have solid boys. My nine year old vacuums all the carpet, my seven year old cleans all the bathrooms, and my six year old runs around putting things away where I tell him to. Maybe Aaron is right and the urinal does just clean itself. But I digress again. One day Joseph said, "Mom, now I know why you have such a big house. It's so that we will have stuff to clean and you can keep us busy." Yep, that's it.

4. Grow a very big garden. It cuts down on your grocery bill, especially if you can get them to eat it.

5. Don't bother getting a dog. They'll make do with each other.
6. Learn how to cut hair. A buzz is okay--but gets old after a while. A good pair of haircutting scissors and clippers will pay itself off in a matter of months. After that, you can pay yourself the money you're saving.
It may be your only source of income.

7. Living next to a small airport or a train route can be a good thing.This is Malachi with his "CHOO CHoo Train"

8. Find a good bulk source for the following items: Spray n' Wash, vacuum bags, oatmeal, dish soap, milk, socks, toilet paper, fruit, cheese, toothbrushes, steri strips, and fat boy ice cream bars (arguably one of the main reasons we moved back to Cache Valley)

9. Laugh at yourself. Everyone else does.

5 comments:

  1. I just love that you guys have a urinal in your house! That was an inspired idea! I quite enjoyed this post and thanks for sharing your wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to follow this advice for Amelia. Except for the urinal... that would get messy. And... my whole bathroom "cleans itself." And... the toilet paper self-replenishes. jAnd... our bed makes itself! (But I can't complain - Tim does all our laundry.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your wisdom. You always make me smile! I'll keep some of this in mind for when/if I have boys! I don't have too much use for a urinal yet, although your bro wants one--we have to get a house first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought my comment disappeared. I guess you just have to approve it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you were my neighbor.

    And I wish you would take Adam for the summer and teach him how to be a good boy, like yours are. And I wish you would teach me all of the really cool things you know how to do, like cut hair.

    I am really glad that five boys were sent to your home and not mine. I can barely keep up with one. Today, he stuck a table knife into an electrical outlet. It got charred black and "fire came out onto the carpet".

    How in the world do you keep up with FIVE?!?

    ReplyDelete