Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Grocery Comments

Okay, those of you with children know how it goes. You need to get something at the store, and despite your experiences on the last shopping trip, you load the kids and just go. And so it begins. At the store, you manage to get the kids inside, alive even, on a cart, and walking. Most of the time we peruse the samples first, of course. After a few minutes, it begins.
"Wow, you look like you've got your hands full!" raised eyebrows.
"Don't you have your hands full?" (half smile)
"You've got your hands full!" (nodding)
"Boy oh boy, you've sure got your hands full"
"I bet you've got your hands full!"

Okay, okay, enough already. SERIOUSLY it lost any originality it may have possessed (and I'm skeptical) at LEAST two decades ago. Obviously, I have plenty to do--YES I am attempting to raise five boys and yes, it may very well have been a poor choice to bring them all to the store together. Not necessarily because my hands are full, but because it gets really old smiling after a while and acting like that is an original and witty comment.

The other day, I was shopping at DownEast (love the store but not the fact that they don't have shopping carts) and the kind and sweet lady at the checkout looked at me as I wrangled my crying 3 year old while wearing my 4 1/2 month old in a sling, and tried to keep the older three from opening and winding all the music boxes simultaneously. She opened her mouth, and I braced myself. But then, these words came out,

"You look like you should get an award!"

Thank you! I believe I should.

6 comments:

  1. I totally think you should win an award!! I dont like the "hands full" comment either. Why dont people just choose to not make a comment at all? Or if they feel bad for you they should pass out candy to your kids.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you should, too, as well as the nice lady who actually THOUGHT about her words before she said them. Right now I'm getting comments on how big my baby is. Do they think that's a compliment? I, personally, love my chubby baby and wouldn't want an itty bitty skinny one but it just sounds so wrong when they say it. THINK people, think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I went to Staples last night, I was thanked for leaving my kids home. For real.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME! You really do deserve a reward, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha--yes, most definitely!

    ReplyDelete