Friday, February 13, 2009

Mud


I think the thing I like the most about building a new house is that you get to have a new house after. One you designed yourself. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's why people do it. And I have to admit, I like our house, and the custom stuff in it. But I have issues with the yard--the layout has promise, to be sure,, and the driveway is aesthetically pleasing (did I spell that right?). The neighbors are scenic (even the dairy is far enough away), the view of Logan is very good at inducing sleep, and we have lots of space, but overall, the yard just squelches. That's right. I said squelches. We have mud EVERYWHERE and the worst part is SPRING HASN'T STARTED YET! I have to say I am very concerned.
Every morning, we try to complete any outdoor duties (like feeding the horse) before the daily mud thaw. If only all the errands of the day were complete before 8:00 a.m.. . . . . but alas, the inevitable treks up and down the muddy lane leave rut after new rut, only interrupted by the freeze at night. After the freeze, the ruts are like little hurdles all over the driveway. This makes taking the trash down potentially fatal. The van brings huge batches of mud into the garage with each new trip, and the mud never has time to dry. The garage is almost as deep in mud as the front yard--making trips the freezer require mud shoes (which incidentally I keep very easily accessible). I have a hard time encouraging my kids to play outside, because I know what will happen.
I could go on and on and on, but I just summarize by saying, I long for the day when landscaping can end the squelch. The end.

4 comments:

  1. I told Grant about this post knowing he would be jealous of the new house, land and horse...of course he was. That is a dream of his. Maybe someday we will have to come see your place first hand, that would be fun! To answer your question Miquelyn is pronounced Mike-lyn. Pretty simple but confusing. It is a family name, so we kept the spelling the same. We mostly call her Mique (Mike). She is a sweety! Your family is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though this sounds like a very frustrating situation, I really enjoyed reading about it. You have a great vocabulary. By the way I don't think I told you before, but I love the way you decorated the "mud room" door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mud room door is darling! Sorry for your messy pain. By the way, I have a couple new posts about birth I thought may interest you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love your new house!!! It totally makes me want to build now.
    Here's hoping the mud will go away and some beautiful landscaping will magically appear ;)

    ReplyDelete