It all started with a giant (10 foot) fall from the "pirate room" attic ladder, followed by a small panic attack of the mother, fast forward to a doctor consultation (THANK YOU to my favorite bearded surgeon and my new other favorite ), some x-rays at our local hospital, and then to scheduled anesthesia for a spica cast placement.
Yep, Malachi's leg is broken. Dang. And at the hospital while we were waiting for Malachi to go back to the operating room, I brought some presents for him to open to occupy his time. One of them was colored pencils--he pulled out the purple one, and said, "This one's purple. It's my FAVE-RIT'!" So when the handsome bearded doctor :-) asked me what color the cast was going to be--I said purple.
The cast placement went well--he woke up a bit grouchy (big surprise) but we were blessed with good company, and most importantly, his daddy was available the whole day to hold him. That was a lifesaver. The next morning, I was a bit apprehensive about his reaction to his cast--but his first words were, "These are my pahple pants! They're my FAVE-RIT'! Don't take them off!"
So there you have it. We got the right color. Come to find out later, my Grandpa Ray used gentian violet to color casts back in his doctoring days--maybe the FIRST purple cast of all time!!!!
We are extremely grateful for many things--that Malachi was watched over and has only a broken leg, and that he will walk in a month, and that we have such wonderful family and support around us.And now, I can buy a purple poncho.

P.S. The pirate room is now fall-proof. Thanks for the idea, Dad.
Poor Malachi. But I sure think it's great that he picked purple as his favorite color, just in time for Grandpa's story at Rook Sunday!
ReplyDeletePurple is my favorite color too! I knew I liked that Malachi. I hope he heals quickly. That would be so hard to see your kid hurting like that. Good thing you know some good doctors.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh- how scary! I would freak out if my girls fell that far down! So glad that he was being watched over that day and what a blessing to have such a wonderful, experienced dr in your life. :) Love the purple cast!
ReplyDeleteI'm a big fan of purple myself. Not so much a fan of broken legs - my condolences to Malachi and his panic-stricken mother. How has he dealt with long-term purple pants?
ReplyDeleteDespite us having such blond boys they both must have a lot of Malouf blood running through them. When Talmage picked a purple cast as Torso Cast #1 I had forgotten about Grandpa Ray's purple cast and then with Malachi's cast being purple too it made me happy that Talmage picked a purple one.
ReplyDeleteHow is Malachi now? Is his cast off yet?
Oh my gosh. I missed this post. I had no idea that poor Malachi broke his leg. Sure hope he's doing better.
ReplyDelete