Friday, December 3, 2010

Favorite Christmas Traditions

So I know I may be missing the boat here--my oldest is 10, which would mean that I've had ten years to establish set warm fuzzy happy Christmas traditions. Which we have, don't get me wrong. But today I've been thinking about Christmas traditions--the ones I had growing up, and the ones Aaron had growing up--and the ones we implement in our own home.

And I've decided--you can't do it all.

I KNOW that you can't do it all--this is not a new concept for me :-) but I've been thinking about choices, and which things are worth doing. You know in my Halloween costume post how I talked about how the time spent sewing has to be worth it, well, I'm thinking about the same thing with Christmas. The time spent carrying out the actual motions of the tradition have to be worth the enjoyment/warm fuzzy feelings/family togetherness/joy that it brings.

And here's where I'd like your input. What is your favorite thing about Christmas now? How does it compare with memories of Christmases past? I love Christmas time. The things I remember the most about Christmas growing up are the ones I have chosen to continue (thus far):

  • Going to get a tree-- together in the forest
  • Manheim Steamroller Music (a must for decorating--you CANNOT decorate until it is playing)
  • Decorating the Christmas tree and house--no lights outside, but plenty of pine
  • Taking treats (usually cider growing up--but sometimes a turkey) to the neighbors
  • Doing the 12 Days of Christmas for another family
  • Making homemade Christmas presents for my family
  • New pajamas on Christmas Eve (depending on the year--sometimes homemade)
  • Chocolate Turtles (although this morphed into dipping chocolates when I joined the Beutler family)
  • Hanging our stockings on Christmas Eve, then going to bed and having mom and dad come sing Christmas carols to us by candlelight in our rooms.
  • Reading the Christmas story and re-enacting the Nativity Story on Christmas Eve--this is my most important one I think.
And growing up, we went to see the Nutcracker Ballet(my brothers were even in it sometimes), but alas, my husband does NOT think this is a worthy tradition. So we have not attended. Ever. But THIS year, I found something even better! Pickleville Playhouse (our family's favorite summer tradition) is showing "Santa's Elves" in Logan at the Ellen Eccles Theatre all through December until the 23rd. I'm excited about the prospect of enjoying our summer tradition in the winter time--It's BACKWARDS of Christmas in July so I don't think it could get any better! And honestly, nothing is better than Pickleville productions anyway. My family loves them SO much. They are always so hilarious, and always so well done. And I think this is worth making the cut--you can't do it all, but this one is worth doing!

So tell me what you enjoy most about the holidays--I want to make sure I'm not missing the boat.

5 comments:

  1. Yep, you're right. There are just too many great things out there to fit them all in. We always act out the Nativity Story with the family. But I am happy not to have to go house to house and re-enact it over and over like we did when we were kids. Once is good.

    My kids love going to see all of the lights: Ogden's Christmas Village, Temple Square, and even Willard Bay. But we don't ever fit them all in the same year, kind of rotate around with whatever works.

    Last year we went to Crystal Hot Springs on Christmas Eve. We thought it would tire the kids out and help them fall asleep earlier. But we forgot it was going to tire us out too. We haven't decided yet whether to make that one a tradition. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have begun thinking about the traditions Jason and I have established and I have to say I don't think we have done any one thing consistently yet. Putting up our tree is the only thing I could think of, but last year we took it down before Christmas so that one is even out. If anyone is missing the boat it is me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We go caroling to our neighbors for FHE before Christmas. For some reason this always makes everyone grumpy and we get in a huge fight and Craig and I end up yelling. Maybe it will be better this year.

    We always go skiing Christmas Eve. Then that night we open up all the presents under the tree and then go to bed. Santa comes and leaves stockings in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried to fix your blog in my blogroll at least 60 times (that's what it seems like, anyway) but I'm still not seeing updates. I will try, try again.

    As for Christmas traditions, the only ones I think are really important are 1) a tree, 2) The Carpenters Christmas CD, and 3) being with family. In reverse order. But... I think orange sticks are a nice touch, and I'm hoping to implement a freshly-baked-cinnamon-rolls-on Christmas-morning policy. We'll see if it pans out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you can see I'm catching up on your bloggity blog:) One of my favorite traditions is buying gifts for a child on an angel tree or something like that. This year we did the Christmas Box House and Sydney was in charge of helping pick out all the presents for a 4 year old girl who loved the Little Mermaid (just like her) and Talmage helped with getting gifts for a 3 year old boy. I just want them to grow up loving how they feel when they give, not just how they feel when they get.

    I love the nativity tradition too. I also love getting Christmas cards and so I feel like I need to send them out, but sometimes that is too stressful, but I sure do love getting them.

    ReplyDelete