

which promised that I would have no "dangerous sharp edges" and it actually has not yet broken. So it is still in my drawer. But it only opens cans that are NOT Western Family/generic or #10 cans (the main cans I possess :-) I would use the can opener on a can, only to find out that the can was impervious to this particular style of opening. Then when I tried another can opener, I ended up with a nice ring of SHARP edges--half on the can and half off. Definitely a hazard. So, instead of boycotting Western Family, I gratefully accepted a brand-new-favorite-colored Kitchen Aid

can opener from my favorite mother. This can opener somehow ended up with stripped gears or something (after a month) and had to be held at a precise angle to operate--and even then only MOSTLY opened cans. Grrrr. Then it quit altogether. So again, I purchased a cheapo model for the interim. Which broke TODAY. And when I say broke, I mean came apart in pieces and a spring fell out. So, I appeal to YOU my dear friends.
WHERE DO YOU GET A DECENT CAN OPENER?
Then I can put it on my Christmas list for the LAST time.
I just looked at Walmart.com so I could show you a picture of the can opener, but I guess they don't bother posting such inexpensive items online. If you can't find it at the store, let me know and I will pick one up for you!
ReplyDeleteI just got a new can opener last month after my trusty one got too dull to open a can. (We also have a Pampered Chef can opener that opens cans without leaving a sharp edge, but it is difficult to use on some cans.)
ReplyDeleteAnyhow, I am VERY pleased with my new can opener. I bought it at Walmart for a whopping $4 or so. It is completely stainless steel and works fabulously. I am so happy with it that I seriously thought about getting an extra one, just to have for the future.
Is it weird that I have three can openers....and only one that actually works? The weird part about that is that when the two openers didnt work I thought for a year that it was "just the can" and not the can openers....
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tips--I'm going to WalMart tomorrow so I'll check it out. Kacie--that is too funny. I'm glad I'm not the only one with chronic can opener failure :-)
ReplyDeleteI have had a OXO brand from Target I think for almost ten years and never has a problem with it...and I use it a lot. I might be owrth a try.
ReplyDeleteWhen Jason and I got married we somehow inhereted one from his old apartment and it has lasted us 4 1/2 years and who knows how many college boys, so I think you should go raid college apartment buildings and if it is still working there it would definately work for you. (I personally would really like an electric can opener though)
ReplyDeleteSwing-A-Way
ReplyDeleteI have a KUHN RIKON that opens everything so far... but I get almost everything from Costco.
ReplyDeleteIn other news... I am looking forward to having a belly face-off with you. You and Aaron might be surprised. :-)
Aneesa,
ReplyDeleteI had the exact same thing happen with my Kitchen aid Can opener--stripped gears. We tried to fix it and it worked a little while longer but still--a pain. I also found the can opener I like the best, at Wal-mart, stainless steel, only mine was about 7$ here. But it probably is the same as Emily's. It works great! I would totally recommend it . Good luck.