As a belated birthday tribute to my father, I wanted to share a list I've compiled of some qualities I've learned from him. Mind you, these are qualities that I did not want. These are skills I fought hard and long to avoid. But however I fought, now I possess them. Thanks dad!
How to teach a boy to do a correctly postured push-up
How to play, and then COACH soccer
How to pick an apple tree, cleanly and well
How to clean a sink
How to implement sterile technique, in the home and abroad
How to wash my hands
How to take a joke, even if sometimes the punch line is a little too close to home
How to use pruners (although I still have not mastered the actual pruning of an entire tree)
Basic car maintenance--changing tires, oil, and checking and re-filling fluids
How to calculate mileage
The importance of appreciating kid power
How to look a word up in the dictionary, then use it in the course of the day
How to pop a baby's elbow joint back into socket (this one I am especially grateful for)
How to drive a stick shift
The list could go on, and on, and on. . . . . . . . .
I can't even begin to finish all the things I learn from my dad--but Thanks, Dad!! Thank you for sticking with it, even though I was such a stubborn learner!
Nice list. Your father has taught me a few things over the years too. . .
ReplyDeleteI was going to send him some dehydrated pears for his birthday. . . but didn't get around to it (yet).
Wait...your pregnant? Can we get a post on THAT please?
ReplyDeleteGreat tribute! I want to make a list like that for my dad...I too was a very resistant learner but am grateful for what my dad has taught me! And, I have learned some nuggets of wisdom from your pops too!
ReplyDeleteI guess the pregnancy counter on your blog is to punish us lazy google reader people:0 CONGRATS!
Ok, so I feel stupid! I was totally sure that I had seen your baby counter at 287 days and for some reason, I thought it was a joke. I thought I even checked back to check that thing and it was the same. But now I think I'm must have been not really paying attention. Then we were talking on the phone and I still thought it wasn't real. So anyhow--I'm an idiot!! Congratulations!!!! So when about are you due?? Talk to you later.
ReplyDelete