Thursday, August 6, 2009

Remember when Jack Died?

Aaron and I have been reading the "Little House on the Prarie" series to the boys at night. Well, tonight, Jack (Laura's beloved dog) died, as of about thirty minutes ago.

I am now listening (and have been continuously for the past thirty minutes) to the sobs of my son, Gideon. He is very, very upset. Somehow he has projected his grief from our reading onto the memory of a plastic lizard that I accidentally flushed down the toilet a year ago, and his mourning is now being re-lived in a most distressing manner. Oh the sorrow. My heart aches for Laura and for Gideon.

I am just amazed that Laura Ingalls Wilder could write such a book (and 7 or 8 of them) that lives on and on and on and is loved by every generation, undimmed by the time that goes by.

I would like to write something like that. First, I suppose, I'd have to live something like that--or maybe her talent was not in living the extraordinary, but seeing the extraordinary in the ordinary life.

That's a gift.

I can't wait to meet her someday, and maybe Jack too. They might even know where to look for the plastic lizard.

3 comments:

  1. Funny you should write about that... I am sitting here watching it while Audrey sleeps. :) Looks like you guys had a crazy month of July. Congrats on all the running- you're a stronger person than I am! I loved seeing all the new pictures. Your boys are so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave away my childhood set of "Little House on the Prairie" about four years ago. . . and am now regretting it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I couldn't tell if you were joking. You know that really is Audrey Young on the train, right?

    ReplyDelete